Indexes of Maps (in map format)
The maps indexed here represent more than 100 years of geologic mapping by the Mines and Minerals Division, the Ontario Geological Survey (OGS) and its predecessor organizations.
The index maps covering the period from 1891 to 2018 are available as searchable PDF documents.
Supplements to the Surficial and Bedrock Geology Index Maps Series have been created for published maps created since 1991 (and any that may have been missed by the previous index maps).
Vector, CAD or GIS map files are available for all maps published since 1998. Vector files for maps published prior to 1998 may also be available. Please contact the
Publication Sales Office for further information.
All Ontario Geological Survey Publications are available for ordering from our Publication Sales Office or can be downloaded from the OGS Publication Database found at GeologyOntario.
Provincial Index of Maps is viewable in Google Earth. This index for Geological Maps and Digital Data contains outlines illustrating areas that have published products released by the Ontario Geological Survey. Data includes: published product locations with links to download the product from GeologyOntario.
The maps comprise the following series.
- A Series
- The "A" series maps, recording magnetic surveys by the Ontario Department of Mines, were issued during the period 1950–1959.
- The "AR" maps, accompanying the Annual Reports of the Ontario Bureau of Mines and Ontario Department of Mines, were issued during the period of 1891–1944.
- A series of aeromagnetic maps of Canada that provide coverage of standard quadrangles of the National Topographic System (NTS). Within Ontario, these maps were funded and produced jointly or individually by the governments of Canada, Manitoba and Ontario.
- Open File Maps were maps intended for rapid release and issued
- The current series of preliminary maps, usually uncoloured, has been produced since 1956.
- A series of maps produced by the Ontario Department of Lands and Forest in 1965. There are only four maps in this series.
- Initially issued separately from Annual Reports, by the Ontario Department of Mines, these maps later replaced the AR series. They were issued during the period 1931–1960.
- The current series of final, coloured maps has been produced since 1961. These maps commonly accompany reports.
- A series of engineering geology maps.
80 000 Series
- The current series of geophysical and geochemical maps has been produced since 1979. Earlier geophysical and geochemical maps were issues as "A", "2000", or "P" series maps.
These index maps show all maps published by the Ontario Geological Survey pertaining to surficial geology and industrial mineral and aggregate resources. Maps on the following topics are included:
- Quaternary geology
- Drift thickness
- Bedrock topography
- Engineering geology
- Geotechnical studies
- Industrial Minerals
Surficial Geology Maps published between 1891 and 1991
Surficial Geology Maps published between 1991 and 2018
Aggregate Resource Inventory Porfolios
These index maps show all maps published by the Ontario Geological Survey pertaining to bedrock geology and related metallic mineral and petroleum resources. Maps on the following topics are included:
Bedrock Geology Maps published between 1891 and 1991
Bedrock Geology Maps published between 1991 and 2018
These index maps show all maps published by the Ontario Geological Survey pertaining to geophysical surveys between 1950 and 1991. Maps on the following topics are included:
Electromagnetic and Electrical Surveys
- Airborne magnetics, total field
- Airborne magnetics, vertical component
- Airborne magnetics, residual field
- Airborne magnetics, vertical gradient
- Ground magnetics, vertical component
- Airborne electromagnetics
- Airborne electromagnetics and total intensity magnetics
- Ground electromagnetics
- Airborne electrical
Gravity and Seismic Surveys
- Airborne gamma-ray spectrometry
Geophysical Survey Maps published between 1950 and 1991
These index maps show all maps published by the Ontario Geological Survey pertaining to geochemical surveys between 1969 and 1991. Maps on the following topics are included:
- Water and Sediment Geochemistry
- Overburden Geochemistry
- Bedrock Geochemistry
- Biogeochemistry and Soil Geochemistry
- General and Miscellaneous Investigations
Geochemical Survey Maps published between 1969 and 1991